Are you thinking of growing your hair out faster and thinking of using coconut oil? Find out about its benefits.
Coconut oil is known to be a great hair product but it does’t actually promote hair growth. Nevertheless, there are many benefits that can make your hair look longer. We have all the information we can about coconut oil and hair-growth.
Is it possible to actually make it work?
There isn’t much evidence that coconut oil can make your hair grow longer. We can only dream, though. Coconut oil doesn’t directly promote hair growth but it can help to create the right environment for growth.
Coconut oil is unique in that it’s able to penetrate the shaft of the hair. Because of this, it can strengthen hair, prevent hair loss, and reduce split ends. Hair that is thicker and more vibrant will result.
Coconut oil has other benefits.
Even though it won’t give you mermaid locks, the benefits of this oil are real.
- Deep conditioning. Coconut oil is extra conditioning and makes a perfect deep conditioning treatment a few times per month.
- Deep cleaning. Coconut oil may help cleanse the buildup of natural oil and hair products at your roots.
- Controlling dandruff. It’s also antifungal.
- Detangling. To make it easier to remove the knot, massage coconut oil into your hair.
- Heat protection. Pre-treating your hair with coconut oil prior to heat-styling may help protect your hair from heat damage.
- Lice treatment. Surprisingly, it’s also a pretty great home remedy for lice.
On top of that, It smells tropical and exotic. It’s hard to find anything better.
How to use it
Coconut oil is solid at room temperatures so you will need to prepare it to be easier to use in your hair.
Take a tablespoon of oil and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 10 seconds until the oil becomes soft but not hot. (We are trying to condition the oil, not deep fry it.
You can also rub room-temp coconut oil into your hands until it melts. Next, select the benefit you want and apply it.
- Apply coconut oil generously to your hair, extending it from root-to tip. Let the oil sit for at least 30 minutes. To lock in moisture and prevent a mess, wrap your hair in a towel. The oil should be rinsed out and shampooed. You can mask your hair as often as once per week.
- Detangling. Gently work a small amount of coconut oil into the knot, being careful not to break the hair or rip through the knot. Use a detangling brush to gently remove the knot.
- Heat protection. Apply a small amount of coconut oil on damp hair before blow-drying or a thin amount to dry hair before heat styling. Coconut oil can reduce the damage caused by flat irons and other hot tools, as it is a natural heat protector.
- Lice. Generously apply coconut oil to your hair, then cover your hair with a shower cap overnight to kill the lice and brush them out with a fine-toothed comb.
There are other ways to grow locks
Hair growth begins from within. You can give your body the nutrients it needs, and then you will be able to grow hair that is as beautiful as Rapunzel. These are some tips to help your hair grow healthy.
- Take your vitamins. Keeping your body stocked on essential nutrients like vitamins A, B, C, D, and E will support all the processes that maintain healthy hair (we’re talking growth, cell regeneration, and sebum production – aka oil, which keeps hair shiny and luscious). Supplements that promote hair growth can be purchased or you can take a multivitamin daily. Before you start any new supplements, make sure to talk with your doctor.
- Stop worrying. Make time for self-care. You will reap the benefits both inside and outside.
- Scalp massage. Daily scalp massage may help stimulate your hair follicles to promote hair growth (ever wonder why they do it at the salon?). You can unwind as well. This can be incorporated into your daily routine by massaging your scalp 30-60 seconds after you shampoo. Are you not a fan of fingerwork? Get a scalp massager.
- A balanced diet is important. Your body can only grow hair from the food you eat. To keep your hair strong and shiny, eat fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy oils, protein, and other nutritious foods.
Don’t hesitate to contact your healthcare provider if home remedies don’t work. You have a variety of over-the-counter (OTC), and prescription medications to help your hair grow. Talk to your doctor about the best treatment options for you.
- Coconut oil will not make your hair longer but it can promote healthy hair and hair follicles.
- Coconut oil can be used to condition, protect, and deep clean your hair. Coconut oil is also a great home remedy for lice.
- Hair growth supplements, scalp massages, healthy eating habits, and a decrease in stress are some of the ways to promote hair growth.