purple and green abstract painting

Hedoine, a UK-based hosiery company, has created the first ever biodegradable tights collection. They also claim they are ladder-resistant. This is in an effort to reduce throwaway fashion and make hosiery more sustainably.

Hedoine will introduce new sheer black tights in 30 denier as part of its first ever biodegradable collection. This blends its ladder-resistant technology and a biodegradable yarn. These tights are made “mindfully” in Italy with recycled water, and certified Oeko-Tex conditions. This means they are free of harmful chemicals.

Hedoine values transparency and has chosen a yarn that is 85 percent biodegradable. The standard waste management process is followed by the remaining 15%.

purple and green abstract painting

Hedoine states the tights can be disposed off via general waste to compost via an anaerobic wastewater management facility at the end of their useful life. Hedoine states that most general waste can be broken down in these conditions in Europe. However, customers will have the option to send their old tights in for biodegradation if their country or region does not have the resources.

Under these anaerobic conditions, the biodegradation process starts and continues for 3 to 5 years. The nylon is broken down by bacteria into organic matter, biogas and biomass. Both of these can be used as environmental resources or to generate electricity.

Hedoine wants to make hosiery more sustainably with biodegradable tights

Hedoine’s sustainability agenda is centered on circularity. Tights, they claim, are a product that represents throwaway fashion. On average, tights last for one wear. Its mission is address the fact that billions upon billions of tights end-up in landfill each year. To reduce this, it is focusing on sustainability, longevity, recycling, and biodegradability.

person wearing black and white checkered skirt

They are made with more sustainable materials, but also use Hedoine’s unique knitting technology. This makes them last longer and reduces consumption. The seamless, gusset-free design prevents pinching and sagging and makes them soft and comfortable to touch.

Alexandra Tymann and Anna Rauch, the founders of Hedoine, say: “To reduce the amount of tights ending up in landfills, we began by making ours ladder resistant and longer-lasting. This creates a durable product which lasts longer than the average. The next step was to reduce waste across the industry, which meant that we tackled recycling.”

“Our soon to be launched recycling project allows customers to recycle pre-loved Hedoine leggings and tights. We want to close this loop, which is why biodegradable tights are so important. The future of biodegradable tights is one where they should feel and perform well.”

According to the brand, the goal is for the sheer, black 30-denier tights to become the first in a larger biodegradable collection. The long-term vision is for all Hedoine products that are fully biodegradable. Customers can also send in their old leggings and tights to be used as insulation or tyres.

Selfridges will host a pop up shop to showcase the brand’s new Hedoine biodegradable shorts starting September 20. You can also purchase the tights online for as low as 30 Pounds.